Beat the Heat with My Favorite Frozen Treat!
The summer is a great time to let the little ones enjoy a frozen treat. I absolutely love popsicles but the kind you can buy in stores are often packed full of sugar and high fructose corn syrup. It can be hard to find them just made from whole fruit, but I think they taste much better this way! They’re pretty simple to make yourself, so why not? Here are a couple of my favorite recipes!
Jamie Oliver’s Yogurt Pops – How good do these look?! The color is brilliant!
- 2 small ripe & peeled bananas
- 1 1/2 cups frozen strawberries OR 1 cup frozen blueberries (I like to mix a little of each)
- 2 cups nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp. honey
- Combine ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth
- Divide mixture evenly into molds (amount will vary depending on size of molds)
- Freeze for 10 minutes, remove, insert popsicle sticks
- Put back in the freezer for at least 3 hours; until frozen solid
- Run mold under warm water for a quick second, gently pull each pop from mold and serve immediately!
You can find popsicle molds at most grocery stores or drugstores. Here’s a great list of BPA-free molds, too! I personally like stainless steel molds. They’re a little more pricey but work wonders at keeping them cold and no plastic involved. You can also find 100 popsicle sticks for about $4 on Amazon.
Watermelon Whole Fruit Popsicles
Makes about 12 pops.
Remember to use seedless watermelon. You can use honeydew, cantaloupe.. really any fresh, organic fruit you have on hand! This recipe can be altered to fit your child’s tastes.
- 3 cups watermelon puree (about 1/2 a watermelon)
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup chopped strawberries
- 1 kiwi peeled & sliced
- 1 peach or nectarine diced small
- handful cherries pitted & chopped
- Puree watermelon chunks in blender until smooth & set aside
- Fill molds with the chopped fruit
- Pour in watermelon puree until each mold is full to the top
- Repeat freezing steps from above and serve after 6-8 hours
Hope you enjoy these sweet and frozen treats! Don’t be afraid to get creative!