Food Revolution Day 2014!
I’m a huge fan and supporter of Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution Day because like Jamie, I believe that every child deserves a diet free from processed foods and access to fresh ingredients that they can cook from scratch. Your child’s diet will directly affect their behavior.
“We need every child to understand where food comes from, how to cook it, and how it affects their body. This is about setting kids up with the knowledge they need to make better food choices for life.” – Jamie Oliver
Cooking skills are an invaluable life lesson and your children will love learning family recipes from grandma, or mum or dad. It’s something they will take with them their whole lives and continue the tradition with their children.
Why should you cook with your kids this Food Revolution Day and always?
- It’s an opportunity to talk about nutrition and what they get out of certain foods – what’s “healthy”? What’s a healthy fat? A carb? How does sugar affect the body? Etc.
- Cooking from scratch helps kids develop a taste for wholesome and fresh foods (start them young!)
- Kids are more likely to try new foods if they helped make them!
- Cooking together = quality time together and your child will gain self-confidence when they produce something yummy
- It helps kids establish and expand their motor skills and math skills
- Eating meals together as a family has AMAZING outcomes like: better grades, lesser chance of obesity, eating more produce, less likely to feel depressed