Halloween is one of my favorite times of the year. Costumes, decorations and watching all the kids’ faces light up as they trick-or-treat!
Here are a few of my tips for having a safe and fun Halloween night. Go over my list before you leave the house so your child is aware of your expectations.
- Map out a route before you go trick-or-treating and stick to it
- Go to areas with plenty of people around & only go to welcoming houses with decorations and lights on
- Explain about staying on paths & respecting people’s property – no trampling flower beds or touching decorations (unless they say it’s ok!)
- Stay outside & never go into a stranger’s house
- If your costume is dark, remain visible with glow sticks or a flashlight
- Look at your candy before you eat it to make sure no one tampered with it & ask before you eat!
- Take only one candy unless offered more – let them know there will be a lot of kids out trick-or-treating & we need to leave enough candy for everyone
- Remind them to say “Thank You!” even if they don’t like the candy offered
Most importantly, be safe, have fun & get plenty of candy 🙂